Certificate IV in Transport and Distribution (Coastal Maritime Operations - Master Class 4) TDM40307
Marine Training Services conducts full time Master 4 Courses in 30 days. Course include:
- Radar and Electronic Aids
- Ship Knowledge
- Nautical Knowledge
- Onboard Tuition
Students will also require:
- Elements of Shipboard Safety (Level 2 First Aid, Liferafting & Firefighting)
- Marine Radio Operator’s Certificate of Proficiency
Some course components can be completed by Remote Learning (correspondence).
Participant are given 12 months from course commencement (or for Remote Learning students from the date of enrolment) to successfully complete all course components.
There are no specific entry requirements or prerequisites to enrol in the Master 4 Course. However, state marine authority requirements must be met before you can operate as a Master 4. In Victoria the authority is Transport Safety Victoria.
Certificate of Course Completion
Upon successfully completing all course requirements participants will receive a Certificate of Course Completion, for the Certificate IV in Transport and Distribution (Coastal Maritime Operations - Master Class 4) TDM40307. This is a nationally accredited certificate recognized in all States and Territories within Australia.
The Certificate of Course Completion is valid for 5 years. Certificate holders can apply to a state marine authority for a Certificate of Competency anytime within these 5 years.
Master 4 Certitificate of Competency
In Victoria a Certificate of Competency is issued by Maritime Safety after you have met all eligibility criteria, such as: successfully completing an approved training course (ie. Master 4 Course) ; be 18 years of age or over; satisfy qualifying watchkeeping service requirements (as detailed in the National Standards for Commercial Vessels Part D Crew Competencies); hold one of the following Certificates of Competency, Master Class 5, Skipper 3, Mate Class 4, Second Mate or other qualification deemed equivalent; pass eyesight (vision and colour-vision) tests; complete a certificate of medical fitness; and passing an oral examination. Oral examinations are conducted by Transport Safety Victoria.
As prescribed by the National Standard for Commercial Vessels, the holder of an unrestricted Certificate of Competency as a Master Class 4 is qualified to act in the following positions:
Master Class 4
- Master on a trading vessel less than –
- 35 m in length for ACMW operations (within 600 n miles); or
- 80 m in length for inshore operations (within 15 n miles).
- Chief Mate on a fishing or trading vessel less than—
- 35 m in length for unlimited domestic operations; or
- 80 m in length for ACMW operations (within 600 n miles).
Skipper Grade 2
The holder of an unrestricted Skipper Grade 2 Certificate of Competency is qualified to act in the following positions:
- Master on a fishing vessel less than—
- 5 m in length for unlimited domestic operations; or
- 80 m in length for offshore operations (within 200 n miles).
- Chief Mate on a fishing or trading vessel less than 80 m in length for ACMW operations (within 600 n miles).
- Watchkeeper on a fishing vessel less than 3000 GT and 100 m in length, for unlimited domestic operations.
A restricted Certificate of Competency may be issued In accordance with the requirements of the marine authority and are determined by an applicant’s experience.
Please contact your state marine authority to obtain the latest Certificate of Competency information. In Victoria the marine authority is Transport Safety Victoria, you can visit their website www.transportsafety.vic.gov.au or contact their Marine Occupational Qualifications department on 1800 223 022, Option 1 Maritime.
For Master 4 Course enrolment details please send the office an email email@example.com or contact us on 03 5229 5432.